4. As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: “A voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him. 5. Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth.
Seems to be saying “Get ready to receive the Lord. He is coming. Get rid of anything that may be in the way.”
In my life, what is in the way??? Hm-m-m … Unforgiveness. Busy with all the wrong things (I must make time for Him.) Wanting My Will. Bad habits. “Man-made Religion” … whatever gets between me and Jesus.
16. John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
I looked up “baptize”……
- (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity… to immerse (a person) in water or sprinkle water on (a person) as part of the rite of baptism
- (tr) to give a name to; christen
- (tr) to cleanse; purify
[from Late Latin baptīzāre, from Greek baptizein, from baptein to bathe, dip]
To cleanse; purify……. I sure need that
To give a name to…………. We are made members of his family
To immerse……………. We get so immersed in everyday life.
Holy Spirit, I want to be immersed in You.
17. His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
The chaff was all the “stuff” left after winnowing out the wheat. The wheat is gathered into the barn. The chaff is destroyed. I can be sure that the Holy Spirit’s fire will not destroy me…. Just the chaff… the JUNK!