A while ago I went on a women’s retreat. While there, a speaker made a side comment about “self-talk.” This I’ve heard before…. We are to stop putting ourselves down and speak God’s truths about us. But this side comment was followed by something a bit different. Someone put themselves down a little – and her sisters-in-Christ did the “self-talk.”
“No! No! You are beautiful. God thinks you’re wonderful, etc., etc”
I love this idea! So, I’ve written a few of the things God has been showing me. Many of these come from Psalm 103. Let these truths sink deep into your spirit.
- He forgives all your sins. If you are in Christ Jesus, they are already forgiven!
- You don’t have to be depressed – He has redeemed your life from the pit.
- He has given you beauty, INSTEAD OF ashes… a garment of praise INSTEAD OF the spirit of heaviness. (Isaiah 61:3)
- You are a child of the King. He crowns you … continually … with love and compassion.
- He is compassionate and gracious (full of grace) towards you… slow to anger … abounding in love towards you. Remind yourself of this over and over. God is GOOD… ALL the time!
- He does not treat you (or me) as our sins deserve; He is merciful… thank you Jesus!
- He does not always accuse, nor harbor his anger forever. (ditto)
- He has great love for you … higher than the heavens … deeper than the oceans … and it lasts forever!
- He has removed your sins from you – farther than the east is from the west!
- He has GOOD plans for you, giving you a hope and a future … plans to bless and prosper you. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- He says you are wonderful! (Psalm 139:14)
- There is no longer any condemnation for you, because you are in Christ Jesus. Think about that for a minute. How much closer to God can you get than being IN CHRIST JESUS?
- Because you are in Christ Jesus, you are not accused by God, so how could I accuse you? Satan is the accuser. (Revelation 12:10)
- You are redeemed. He has paid the price for all your mess-ups.
I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
This is sooooo much better than putting others down… or putting ourselves down, for that matter. We need to remember that there is power in our words. We can build up … or we can tear down. The choice is ours.
The second part of this “self-talk” goes like this. If anyone speaks about one of us contrary to these truths, they are lying. We are to speak the TRUTH over one another.
After all, if we or someone else,
says anything contrary to what God says…
WHO’S WRONG ?!?!
Disclaimer – Not that I’ve already achieved this, but I press on (Philippians 3:12)
Remind each other.